What is the problem with tap water quality and how do you know if you need to worry?
Tap water contains chlorine, bacteria, parasites, traces of metals, lead, fluoride, nitrates, and other chemicals. The range of contaminants in tap water is so wide that you could easily get ill if you drink tap water regularly, whether from a public treatment facility or at home.
If your children drink tap water on a regular basis they can get serious problems. Health conditions such as asthma, allergies, lung problems, brain damage, impaired immune system function, and learning disabilities are all linked to drinking tap water that has been contaminated. Your health could also be compromised when the contaminants remain in your body for a long time, in the form of chemicals, waste products, and by disrupting the functions of the nervous system.
There Are Several Reasons Why Tap Water Might Not Be So Safe
You may be getting your water from a public treatment facility, or perhaps you’re just getting it at home, but either way, there is a chance that it could be contaminated with these chemicals. Some contaminants are more likely to stay in tap water than others, so you should always read the label before you buy.
Chlorine, which is used in much of the country to kill germs, is a commonly found contaminant in tap water. It is especially dangerous for people with breathing problems and people with weakened immune systems, as chlorine is known to produce allergic reactions in the body. Because chlorine is widely used in many forms of domestic water, it is often present in streams, lakes, and other bodies of water.
Chlorination is most often used in public treatment facilities, to sanitize a public supply of water. Not only does chlorination make the water looks clean, it is also effective at killing germs and cleaning water. However, after a while chlorine can build up in pipes, causing the water to be cloudy, hard to drink, and noxious to the nose and throat. Many times this buildup occurs in areas where pipes tend to corrode.
Another common contaminant in tap water is chlorine. While it’s an effective way to sanitize water, it also has an adverse effect on your health, particularly if you have respiratory problems. It is believed that the health problems caused by chlorine can be traced back to thousands of years ago, when the Romans used it to disinfect water.
Chlorination is still used today. It is often mixed with chlorine-based disinfectants, along with a few other ingredients. In the process, the other chemicals in the water become volatile, causing the other chemicals to evaporate.
Because chlorine reacts chemically with the other chemicals, it can often leave behind an odor. You will also notice that chlorine is heavier than water and tends to sink to the bottom of the container. This is due to the fact that chlorine reacts with oxygen to form chloroform gas, which is odorless, but flammable.
If you breathe too much chloroform gas, it can cause dizziness, nausea, and headaches. Sometimes, if a person inhales enough of the gas, they will even pass out.
The presence of chlorine can cause other forms of corrosion to occur in your tap water. Some of the metals dissolved in tap water can bond with the chlorine, leaving the metal behind a cloudy or rusty color. Another corrosion that can occur is the build up of iron deposits in the pipes, which leech iron into the water supply.
There are several reasons why tap water might not be safe to drink. If the city or water treatment facility isn’t doing anything about it, then it might be time to make a change. The worst that can happen is that you’ll have a slight change in taste or smell, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Whether you think your tap water is safe or not, you have a right to make sure it is. Get a filtration system to purify the water that comes out of your faucet, and be sure that you’re taking care of the problem.